Your Ready Reference for studying at TAFE,University or with a Private Training Organisation in SA


The Education Standards in Brief

You can get assistance with:

  • Enrolment
  • Participation in your course
  • Curriculum development, accreditation and delivery
  • Student support services
  • Elimination of harassment and victimisation

The law won't support:

  • Lowering standards
  • Ignoring the inherent competency requirements
  • Ignoring workplace health and safety

One more thing:

An education institution can not use the cost of flexible teaching, learning and assessment as a reason to discriminate against a student


"But I don't have a disability!"

Many students don't think they have a disability.  But let's look at the Disability Discrimination Act (the 'DDA')

Section 4 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA), defines disability as: 

  • Total or partial loss of the person's bodily or mental functions; or
  • Total or partial loss of a part of the body; or
  • The presence in the body of organisms causing disease or illness; or
  • The presence in the body of organisms capable of causing disease or illness; or
  • The malfunction, malformation or disfigurement of part of a person's body; or
  • A disorder or malfunction that results in the person learning
  • differently from a person without the disorder or malfunction; or
  • A disorder, illness or disease that affects a person's thought processes, perception of reality, emotions or judgment or that re-sults in disturbed behaviour.

It includes a disability that:

  1. Presently exists; or
  2. Previously existed but no longer exists; or
  3. May exist in the future; or
  4. Is imputed to a person.

You might not be able to see a disability, but it may still impair how a person contributes and participates unless adequate provision or help is given.
For universities and TAFEs, disability is anything about you that might mean that you need some extra help in participating in the course or completing the
requirements. Some conditions that have resulted in access plans being
developed for a student and may surprise you - include:      

Colour blindness
Cancer treatment
Obsessive compulsive disorder
Concentration, reading and writing difficulties


Mild Autisms
Attention Deficit
Flat feet
Broken bones






Still think disability isn't about you? Still think disability has to be forever?


The legal framework supporting students with disabilities

The Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Commonwealth)

Disability Action Plans

Australian Human Rights Commission

Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (South Australia)

Education Standards

Codes of conduct for TAFE and universities
Equity and diversity policies and procedures

Be confident! All of these instruments give us the authority to ask for your rights!

Handy Websites

South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre

Skills For All

University of South Australia

University of Adelaide

Flinders University


National Disability Coordination Officer (NDCO)

NDCO South Australia

ADCET (everything you want to know about being a student with a disability)

Australian Human Commission (Disability Rights)

Australia's Career Information and Exploration Service

Career Moves: Transition for Young People with a Disability (NSW)

Get Ready for Uni (NSW)


Practical help that you could ask for as part of your access plan

  • Readers such as screen readers to read aloud the text from an electronic file
  • Voice recognition software
  • Auslan interpreters
  • Text in alternative formats
  • Adaptation of equipment
  • Alternative assessment methods
  • Extra time for essays/exams/work
  • Physical access modifications
  • Hearing loops or assistive hearing devices
  • Special equipment
  • Note takers
  • Electronic versions of lectures


Help us to help you!

Before you start your course, talk about your disability with a Disability Adviser or Student Services Officer

  • How will your disability impact on your study? Will you need note takers, interpreters, extensions of time, learning support?
  • Does your medication affect your study? How?  Do you have trouble getting started in the morning? Can't concentrate for long? Need to be taken at a particular time, so you need to take breaks at particular times?
  • Is your disability permanent or episodic? Will we need to work around episodes?
  • Is your disability noticeable or not noticeable?  If we can't see your disability, your lecturer may not know you have it, so may not make the correct allowances unless we discuss it with them.
  • What services and accommodations you have now to support your study and what you might want.
  • Whether your disability/condition will prevent you from successfully completing some core components of the course or program you wish to enrol in.
  • Be ready with evidence to support your request for disability accommodations.


Money Matters

If you're concerned about the costs of your study, you may want to check out the following for information about scholarships, grants and other
financial support


TAFE SA's Money Matters brochure has information about:

Fee Concessions Fee Assistance
Paying Fees by Instalments Scholarships
Financial Assistance  
Centrelink Assistance  

Contact Student Services on any campus for a copy or go to


The University of South Australia's website has information about the University's Equity Scholarships as well as other scholarships available to students at university. Equity Scholarships may be available to
students with the following backgrounds:

Continuing Students Rural Students
New Students Indigenous Students

Economically Disadvantaged Students

Check it out!


The University of Adelaide has a comprehensive website with infor-mation about scholarships available to students. Eligible students in-clude:

Commencing Students Continuing Students
Students in Financial Need Students with Disabilities

Students from Rural and Remote Areas

Students from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Backgrounds


Money Matters

Flinders University has over 224 scholarships that you may be eligible for. Look here:


Some other places you may want to look:


Benefits and Payments:


If you want to study at university or other higher education providers,
you should find out as much as you can about Commonwealth
Supported Places, HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP fee support.
Information is available here:


Some church organisations, service organisations, chambers of commerce and ethnic friendship societies have been known to assist students in financial difficulty. If you find yourself in a difficult situation financially and have contacts with such an organisation, you may wish
to approach them for assistance.


Disability on Campus

Each of the universities and TAFE SA have different contacts and procedures for arranging disability support.  These websites will tell you how to get in touch with the people you need.

University of Adelaide

Flinders University

University of South Australia



National Disability Coordination Officer
Programme (NDCO). South Australia:
Regions: 23-24-25

Join Mailing List

View Large FontsView Normal FontsView Small Fonts